Friday, June 6, 2014

How can I help you?


The video may be lengthy, but I highly suggest you take a brief fourteen minutes out of your day to hear what Alternative-Rock icon, Amanda Palmer has to say. Some find her eccentric, obnoxious for inevitably striping down to the nude at almost every show, some might not like her music, but all of that aside, I think she is brilliant.

Back in high school, grade twelve chemistry, I was never one to ask questions. Nor was I one who knew the answers. I would sit in class, eyes glued to the board, hands frantically scrambling down every word dictated to me, hoping all this information would one day just magically click. When I was stuck, I'd ask a friend. When I was really stuck and utterly lost in a pool of numbers and formulas, I'd go after class to ask the teacher personally, but I'd never raise my hand during class to ask a question. Nervous, intimidated, vulnerable: three common emotions.

No matter what the circumstance is, when it comes to asking, people tend to feel so vulnerable. The fear of sounding or saying something "stupid," or being unfair and selfish. Asking to borrow some lined paper because you forget to refill your binder before every class, asking for a ride home although it is out of the way, or asking for some support because you don't think you can make ends meet financially. There is always a sense of vulnerability when it comes to asking.

But why is that?

As some of you may know, I'll be leaving in September to embark on an amazing journey to Los Angeles, California. I'll be attending the Dream Centre Leadership School, studying God's word, memorizing bible passages, and learning to be a leader in the church. The part I'm most excited about is the outward ministry that we'll be doing. Feeding the homeless, providing rooms for low income families, support for those going through substance abuse and more.

When I got the acceptance package in the mail, it came with a sheet of paper explaining to me how to fundraise and write a proper support letter to send out to friends and family asking for financial support. Reading this I instantly felt very uncomfortable. "It's not fair for me to be asking for people's money when they have so much to pay for themselves, and I'm not giving them anything in return." 

After watching the video above, it really got me thinking. Focus less on just asking first for what I need, but offering what I have in exchange for support.

Way back when, in the early 1500, Jacques Cartier set sail from France and, months later, ended up near the St. Lawrence River. Here he met some First Nations people who habited there, and in exchange for knives and other hunting tools, Cartier gained a fur coat to keep warm in the winter months. It was the only way of living back then, you would use your talents and goods to serve others, and they would help you in return.

When we willingly offer what we can to others, we connect with them on a personal level. We complete a task, helping each other out whatever way we can, getting to know their needs, desires, and goals. By doing this, they will also be willing to offer help to you in return.

Recently I have been a little nervous and stressed about financially supporting myself in LA. I still don't feel comfortable asking directly for money from people, but I do feel comfortable offering what I have in return for some support, whatever it may be.

I can drive, do errands, grocery shop, be a DD for a night out, babysit, help study for exams, do yard work, paint a wall, clean the house, be a motivating work out buddy, bake and cook (gluten and dairy free as well), and am so willing to learn new skills.

By offering my services and helping out anyway I can, as Amanda Palmer says, "I'm going to fall...and trust the crowd to catch me." So Im asking, in return for any sort of support, or maybe just a friend, can I help someone out in anyway?

Thanks for tuning in,

EmGM

No comments:

Post a Comment