Saturday, September 20, 2014

1st the worst, 2nd the best, 3rd...was just exhausting!

Well, I finally made it. 

Sitting here, writing my blog whilst having the view of the Hollywood sign and palm trees all around me, it dawns on me, my dream in life has come true. All the long hours and hard work have paid off…I’m living in LA, California! Thinking about it still gets to me every time.

It wasn’t easy at first though. I’ve never moved away from home before, or even lived close to a such a big city as LA. I love being comfortable, and being in LA is definitely not comfortable! I knew every nook and cranny back at home. Knew how to use the public transportation like the back of my hand, and even if I was lost I could walk around with ease till I found something familiar. My idea of a great friday night is watching chick flicks at home in my pj’s with my girls, and Sunday night family dinners, with mom cooking, was my favourite way to end the weekend.

About eight months ago I had this feeling that God was calling me to do something bigger with my life, something that wouldn’t be comfortable or easy. Something that would be a lot different then being a grocery clerk, or waiting tables. Something that would really test my faith and broaden my knowledge. When I came across the Dream Centre Leadership School, I knew this was it!

Friday September 12, 2014 is when I started my journey. My goal is to write a blog post as often as possible to keep family and friends in the loop with what I’m doing out here (also, so I don’t have to repeat myself so often)! So here’s how the first few days have been so far…

Wifi in the air!
Friday September 12, 2014: Danielle, Tia and myself headed off to Syracuse in the early hours of the morning so I could catch a flight to LA. Bumping tunes and belting Aretha Franklin and Sam Smith, you could say we had a great ride. We made it to the boarder with ease, it was just passing through that took some time. I was questioned for about an hour on what exactly I’d be doing down in LA, why I was going, if I was taking college courses, if I would be making money, etc, but eventually was granted a year long Travel Visa…and only for a small price of $6! At the airport I said my farewell’s and headed inside. 

The first flight was quick, Syracuse to JFK Airport in NYC, and as soon as I walked off the first flight, I walked straight back on to the second. No waiting! The second flight was much longer, but very spacious and had wi-fi access, and gluten free snacks!! Six hours later I landed in LA. After grabbing my bags I was picked up by my second year host, Amanda, and we rode back to the DCLS talking about what to expect in the year ahead. I arrived at the DCLS at around 10:30 at night, feeling like 1:30am Ottawa time. This was when I started to hit me..the home sickness. Unpacking a large suitcase full of stuff from home, and putting it into the little dorm I’d be living in for the next nine months, I realized how long that actually is. I’d miss hiking in Gatineau for Thanksgiving, the first snow fall, Mom, Danielle and Stephen’s birthdays…just to name a few. It was all so new, and such a big change, it just felt so uncomfortable (that might have been because of the 37 degree weather and no air conditioning though). In the midst of my minor break down I just wanted to Skype home, but it turns out, along with the air con, there is no wifi either. So I prayed a little prayer, and went to bed. First, the worst.

Amanda and I at Echo Park.
Saturday September 13, 2014: The sun shone through the window nice and early, and I was up and at ‘em at 6:30 am. I met my lovely roommate Holly, from Manchester! She’s amazing. I also met some girls, Amanda, Stina and Evelina, down at breakfast over some pancakes and bacon (well I just had a peach actually) who also ended up living right across the hall from me! The four of us desperately wanted to talk to our families back home, so we headed out down Sunset Blvd, to find an internet cafe. We ended up asking a gentleman where we could find one, but he said to just go to Echo Park..free wi-fi in a park..who knew! It was awesome. After sitting in the park we walked back and sat in a little cafe/book store called Stories Cafe, did some groceries at Vons, then walked back to DC. All in all, a very relaxing day meeting new friends and exploring a little bit of the city! Second, the best.

Sunday September 14 2014: Today was church day…and Serve24! At 8:45 we all walked over to the Angelus Temple to listen to Pastor Matthew Barnet speak an awesome word about “The Hub.” His message was about how we, as the church should be like a 24/7 hub where ministries are constantly going on and anyone could come by and get connected, and serve at anytime. It was a great way to start off the annual Serve24 event. Most of you might be wondering what that is…but it’s just as it sounds. We serve for 24 hours straight. An all-nighter?? Yes! Still 37 degree weather?? Yes.

After the three morning services we headed back to DC where there was a huge community party happening! Loads of food, water slides, games, music and more. A bash to start off the big event. At 3:00 Blue Crew (group I was in) went back to the Temple to set up a LEGO Movie Night for a bunch of kids that were being bussed in from different projects. By 5:00 all kids were hopped up on sugar and so ready to start the movie! There were about 200 kids there, eating popcorn and candy and loving it! It was great.

At 10:00 we had street cleaning duty. We walked up and down Sunset Blvd for roughly an hour and swept the sidewalks and picked up trash..Sunset was sparkling. At 1:00 in the morning we headed over to one of the local elementary schools and sorted shoes. Every single child in the school would wake up the next morning and be surprised with a brand new pair of shoes for them sitting in their class room! I wish I could see the look on their faces! At 3:00 we were back at DC cleaning some bathrooms. For those of you who don’t know..DC is HUGE, and there’s always lots of cleaning to be done! 

After sweating out of every pore and working away in the bathrooms, the lack of sleep was really getting to me and I dozed off for 40 minutes. I just couldn’t help it! When I woke, I ran to Starbucks with Amanda and downed a Grande Extra Extra Coffee Coconut Milk Mocha Frap in about 5 minutes. For those of you back home..yes I know, I had coffee! This place is changing me! 

Dream Centre Leadership School
Our last leg of Serve24 was a huge culture shock, but also my favourite part. At 7:00am we headed down to Skid Row to hand out T-shirts and breakfast to the homeless. Some of you might not know what Skid Row is, but it’s basically an area of about 5 blocks where a lot of people that live on the street gather (for anyone familiar with East Hastings in Vancouver, BC..it’s like that, but over about 5 blocks). It was definitely hard for me to see. I’ve never really served in an area like that before, but it really opened my eyes. A lot of people are terrified to even go out to places like that, because they think these people are going to hurt them and are out to get them for their money..but if you take the time to smile and say good morning, and just talk to them, they are just like everyone else..just a little more broken. The more broken, the more mending, the more love. 

Finally we finished the 24 hours at McArthur Park handing out more T-shirts and giving away hot-dogs, for those who set up camp there. It was also an eye opening experience, but I’m so glad I could be apart of it! So yes, my third night in LA was definitely exhausting…but even more amazing!

God is doing great work in this city, and could definitely use your prayers!

Since then, the past week has been a lot of orientation for the year ahead. We had an awesome team building day, and a great team worship and prayer night, I’ve watched the sun set at Santa Monica beach and ate the most delicious vegan ice cream at Salt and Straw, walked the Walk of Fame and did groceries. Lots happening here, and loving every minute of it. 

Thanks for tuning in,


Emily G-M

No comments:

Post a Comment